Sunday, September 14, 2008

Small Talk

What I don't understand is small talk. I do understand the purpose; to fill the awkward void in a lackluster conversation. However, I feel as if it is often devoid of any sort of substance.

Iam aware the idea is not to engage in any sort of profound or earth-shattering discussion. However, a little less small talk and a little more depth is never a bad thing.

I often feel as if small talk is all for show, and no one really benefits from anything being said. Topics such as the weather, local sports, and adorableness of children can only carry you so far and waste so much time.

If we want to really start learning about one another, and delving deeper than the surface of every conversation, we are going to have to cut back on the fluff and get right to it.

So don't be afraid, people. Feel out the situation, discuss the "big game" for the 49th time, then try and discover something new and interesting about the other party. Never know-could be the start of something incredible.




fyi-for some helpful hints on small talk, go here :)

1 comment:

SaM-1 said...

I absolutely hate small talk. When someone attempts to have a small talk with me, I just give short answers and smile (usually hinting that I'm not interested in small talking back with them). Sometimes it works, other times the other person fails to recognize the signs.