Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Scholarships

What I don't understand is why students don't take advantage of available scholarships. It's FREE MONEY. Here is my current situation:


I just had a meeting with the Office of Nationally Competitive Awards. It took about forty three minutes for me to realize that if I were a math/science major, I'd be "ballin" right about now.


However, I do not fall into that category. The category under which I am listed is "girl who is pursuing a career in a competitive field in no need of any new hirees".


Not to say that careers in science, math, or even education, are not competitive (I know they are, since I see my peers working their young buns off to graduate with such degrees), all I mean is my chosen career path is certainly not experiencing a shortage in qualified graduates. So what does this mean? Fewer scholarships. So, to all those future biomedical technicians, math professors, and organic chemists, PLEASE take advantage of the scholarships available. You'll be doing yourself a world of good. Promise :)

2 comments:

SaM-1 said...

I totally understand what you're saying. Formerly a math/science major (specifically forensic chemistry), I was blessed enough to have been awarded the LIFE Enhancement Scholarship for $2500. Unfortunately, due to a change in major to Science Communication, I FREAKIN' LOST THAT SCHOLARSHIP! Although I take pride in my new major, I sometimes think back to that sweet refund check I got twice last year and regret changing majors.... :(

Sarah MacDonald said...

That is sooooo frustrating!!! Makes me want to throw a petri dish against a wall. Hahaha...