Sunday, September 28, 2008

Grudges

What I don't understand is the act of holding a grudge.

Not only is it emotionally draining, all it does is perpetuate hate. I'd like to quote my new favorite person Lewis B. Smedes. He says, "To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you." Let's all think about this for a minute...


...Alrighty then, time to analyze.


Personally, I see a grudge as a needle being dug into my insides. Graphic? Yes. But I can think of no better comparison.

When we hold on to those negative feelings we have toward others, all it really accomplishes is damage to our souls.

Harboring hate does not solve the problem, it can only make it worse.

Holding grudges destroys friendships, marriages, sisterhoods, etc.

So why do it? Why not forgive and set ourselves free?

There is so much more to life than getting even and waiting for others to receive payback. It's time to live our lives for ourselves, and stop worrying about how much we despise those who may have done us wrong. In all honesty, its not our problem-its theirs.

4 comments:

Britastic said...

Get it gurl :)
I hate it when people hold grudges, they are unnecessary and immature.

Kells Bells said...

I totally get where you are coming from, I hate grudges too!

SaM-1 said...

When people hold grudges against me, it really doesn't bother me. It's affecting them, not me. But I tend to hold grudges against people who have really, seriously hurt me. I know...I have to do better.

Zade said...

There's an old saying that having a grudge is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.