Sunday, November 9, 2008

Unhealthy foods

What I don't understand is how people can eat fried/battered/processed food all the time, and expect it to take no toll on their health. I can understand the occasional burger, or buying a cupcake at a bake sale, but the point of food is to give your body the nutrition it needs to carry out the day.

Foods with little nutritional value really serve no purpose, other than making you happy for about a minute and then causing your body to crash shortly after due to lack of energy.

I know from experience that when I have not received proper nutrients I am phsically incapable of performing at my best.

This being said, I realize people think my eating habits are odd (I eat raisins like it's my job), or that I am kind of an old lady when it comes to making food choices. And maybe I could be a little less "weird" with my diet.

However, I feel the benefits I reap from putting nutrition at the forefront of my food-related decisions are worth more than the short-lived euphoria any cheesy quesadilla can provide.

And if my blog isn't enough, let me leave you with these words, "To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art."- La Rochefoucauld

Now if you'll excuse me, I have an apple in the fridge calling my name.

5 comments:

Ms. B. said...

Good blog. I totally agree. Eating unhealthy foods can def. take a toll on your body. I think the human diet should consist of at least 50 + percent fruits and vegetables. It makes you feel better and look better. Exercise (something I don't get nearly enough of) is also critical. Although a cheese quesadilla is definitely a waste of calories, sometimes (as you mention) a little treat can make your day.

Kells Bells said...

you go girl!!

I wish i would eat more healthy sometimes...

SaM-1 said...

This year, it seems like fried foods is the main part of my diet because of the courtyard meal plan I have. However, I am proud to say that instead of destroying my body like most would think I am, I am actually doing good with my body. I would rather enjoy eating a sub from dinkins than eating burgers from courtyard everyday.

Anna Douglas said...

speaking as your best friend, I would like to say that yes, your eating habits are odd. You and your trail mix, your raisins, your apples, your MANGOS, your black beans, etc, etc. Yet, you have more energy than people like me who eat burgers, chicken wings and brownies.

Each to his own I suppose. :)

carolina magic said...

Well, here's a little tip for all you healthy eaters. I've discovered that the walnut salad at McDonald's is delicious and good for you.

So there!

Taco Bell's also offers healthy food--at a good price.

Order your tacos fresco style to cut down on calories.

That said, I ate far too much today. Will reduce intake tomorrow, I promise.